Research priorities are as follows:
- specificity of Diaskintest and C-TST in populations with a low prevalence of TB infection, and direct head-to-head comparisons of all three TBST;
- assessing the barriers for implementation and patient access;
- additional accuracy studies on high-risk groups: children aged under 5 years, children (aged 5–10 years) and adolescents (aged 10–18 years), People with HIV, prisoners and migrants;
- studies evaluating the epidemiologic and economic impact of TBST use in the TB infection diagnosis and TPT cascade;
- longitudinal studies to assess the predictive value for active TB compared with current tests;
- economic studies (e.g. cost and cost–effectiveness of TBSTs under different scenarios); and
- studies evaluating the use of digital tools for reading of results, to avoid return patient visits.